I’m running an experiment with my meal planning process. I’ve been noticing a substantial amount of waste coming out of my produce drawers and bins in my pantry and I don’t like it. Because of that, I’m going to try shopping one week at a time for the rest of the month. My goals are this: to see if we reduce the amount of wasted food, to see if we save money by not bulking up on what I think we might want the second week, and if doing a smaller haul every week is actually easier.
When the closest Aldi was a solid 35 minutes away, shopping every week was impossible. Now that we have a beautiful (whoever would have thought I’d use that adjective) Aldi 10 minutes away, going once a week seems doable. Especially since we usually pop in over the weekend in between our two weeks to grab another milk and a few things anyway. We’ll see how this goes!
After trying quite a few recipes the last few weeks, we’re back to the basics around here. We’ve also decided to start another round of the 21 day fix. We completed it over a year ago and we loved the healthy changes we made to our eating habits. We’ve let some old habits creep back in, so we thought it was a good time to get back on track.
Here’s what we’re eating this week!
Sunday – Leftovers for lunch & Sunday Night Supper at Church
Monday – Crock Pot Pork chops + sweet potatoes + steamed veggies
Ingredients: 1 small onion, 4 small sweet potatoes, 4 pork chops, 1 cup chicken broth
- Quarter the onion. Peel and cube sweet potatoes.
- Place onion and sweet potatoes in the bottom of the crock pot and poor chicken broth over top.
- Season the pork chops with sea salt and pepper and lay on top of veggies.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours until done.
- Serve with steamed veggies
Tuesday – Sausage Bean Burrito Bowls + applesauce
Wednesday – Oriental Chicken Stir-fry + brown rice + apple sauce
Ingredients: 1 bag frozen oriental stir fry veggies (I buy mine from Aldi), 1-2 lbs meat (chicken, venison, or beef), brown rice
- Prepare brown rice according to package instructions
- Brown meat, set aside.
- Stir fry frozen veggies (follow instructions on the bag)
- Add sauce and meat to the veggies and cook until warm.
- Serve over brown rice
Thursday – Baked Chicken + Sweet Potatoes + Steamed Veggies
Friday – Taco Salad + Corn Chips + Salsa
Saturday – White Chicken Chili + Salad
Ingredients: 2 cans Northern Beans, 2 frozen chicken breasts, 1 jar salsa (choose your temp), 1 cup frozen corn (1 can works also), 1 cup onion, chopped, 1 tsp cumin, ½ tsp chili powder, 2 cups chicken broth, 1 cup shredded cheese (optional)
- Dump all the ingredients in a crockpot (except cheese).
- Cook on low, 7-8 hours.
- Shred chicken with a fork.
- Serve with cheese if desired.
Have you ever tried the 21 day fix?
Do you prefer shopping once a week or every two weeks?
Happy meal planning.